Wednesday, May 13, 2009

America! Oi Oi Oi!

Am currently rewriting a 2500 word workbook/essay (the faculty can't make up their mind on what to call it) for which I received 40%. It's worth 40% of the subject. Honestly, when handing the paper in, I thought I did alright. Now, I've gotten >50%'ers before in my two years at Uni and I've known why and I've accepted it. But this...this one seems a bit too... ... unfair.
Now, I talk about the films; Sicko, Supersize Me, Fahrenheit 9/11 and The Corporation as social movement films.
Going over the marked paper, I can't help but feel my tutor was intoxicated or extremely lazy when marking it. For instance, he wrote 'What is the purpose of the film?!!' next to the paragraph ABOVE the paragraph that had the sentence explaining what the purpose of the film is. And he's done it again and again on the following pages. And it turns out I wasn't the only one shocked to see my mark in my class.
But he is an American, ... what's that? Four (to an extent) anti-American films and an American tutor? Hmm. Oh I went there.
Speaking to him about the paper today, he said I can rewrite and hand it in 7 days from the day I received it back. I got it back last Thursday, HE set this meeting for us to discuss this paper for today, a Wednesday, 6 days later. Regarding the new due date for the rewritten paper;

Me: 'That would be tomorrow'.
Him: (Nods)
Me: /Sigh

So this time, I've underlined and put bright glowing stars made of glowing glowstuff around the sentences stating the purpose of the films. I'll stick some Portugese chicken there as well, just to make sure. Like...fuckin, hello. (Thankyou Arj Barker)
He told me 'nothing is a given' in the paper (I have to write the facts down basically), but he also said I can't 'summarise' the films, but I feel a bit hesitant about analysing the films but not being able to discuss how the film brings the messages to the viewers. Yes, that sentence is as stupid as it sounds.

America! Oi Oi Oi!

No comments: