Sunday, May 17, 2009

A table for 6 please, oh and +1

Went to a posh pub dinner with a few close friends last night to celebrate one of my best friends upcoming birthdays. The food was good, the alcohol was flowing a little and the girls of Mawsons Lakes were out to strut their stuff. Always in groups of threes they were, why three? Two is too small and four is too large? /Shrug.
Anyways, B, the best friend and his girlfriend J, are the main components of this group along with a cast of friends whenever we go out for a dinner. And somehow our group ALWAYS remains to be the last to leave the restaurant/pub long after dinner and accusations of pink chicken in my meal. And I wouldn't have it any other way, there's always something to talk about with these guys and there's absolutely no awkward silences ever, EVER, which is beyond awesome. I've known them for so long, they're my family. Especially B and J. We all read each other like a book.
Ever since high school, the friendship groups have been wittled down. Some go away to work, some profess to wanting to catch up but only out of politeness, some go to YR 12 house parties long after graduation and some stay good, genuine friends. Of all the arguments and disagreements, B and J are definitely in the last group.
Bless their hearts, they're always eagerly awaiting news of a new girlfriend of mine. It's a bit awkward you see, when you're the only single one in the group, and EVERYBODY feels sorry for you. And they tell you this, in front of EVERYBODY. And B and J are always trying to show me the light to try and get over a past love. No thanks, I'll stay inside my perpetual circle of heartbreak and wasted feelings, it's cold out you see.

On a similar note, a lady friend co-worker is trying to (with my consent) set me up with her friend. Now, maybe it was the fumes of everyone's body cologne at work affecting my thinking but I now think it's a very stupid idea. I maintain that I'll start any relationship of mine by myself the 'man likes woman, man approaches woman, man cries tears of happiness or sadness' way. But for some reason I said 'Sure, why not?'. My confidence meter on this one is 'We'll have to see Batman'.

No comments: