Monday, June 22, 2009

Confidence

I went to a short Philosophy of Film exam today, I passed well enough.
Anyways, the exam started at 2:10 and I was walking into the building and room at 2 after some last minute revision at the Uni cafe. And I was tailing a bloke I see in Uni to the room, we didn't talk. Got into the small room and almost all the seats were full, only snug spots between other people were left. I don't really talk to any of them at all, probably just the usual nod now and then at lectures.
I went to jovially fit myself between two people, the guy on the right someone I respect, just because he's not full of himself, and the girl on the left being someone who I've concluded has so little confidence in herself that she's turned it into a...sort of...absolute distrust in everyone else. The way she walks in front of other people and her facial expression, many would see her shyness and her basically, probably 'envy' of everyone else for having so much confidence. Now, she's not overweight, not "ugly", no facial tumor, no nothing yet why the lack of confidence?
Anyways, lets just say that she uncomfortably fidgeted and avoided eye contact at all costs when I slotted myself in between them.

Meanwhile the guy I was tailing had some sort of problem and was told to wait by the tutor while she handed out our exam papers. Now this guy has always been shy as well, always had his head down and shoulders slouched everytime he came to lectures late to sit off to the far side by himself. Always looked like he was in a hurry when he walked, probably to avoid social contact.
Now his stance while he stood by the door was something to note. I've always had an extremely good eye for people's eye movement, facial expressions and entire body stance to the point where I can tell what people think of me within seconds. The eyes are my favourite. And I'm good at controlling my body, for example when I need to lie. To the point where I've thought about studying human behaviour at Uni but ultimately don't have the commitment.
His stance consisted of him with a half-hearted back to the door frame facing the open side of the room, with the class facing forwards. Head hung low, with his right hand in front of his waist, moving it around to pretend he was occupied. I would have to have another look to detail it more. The point is, he couldn't do the exam for some reason, he became an outlier, an outcast to the rest of the class who was watching him wondering what was going on. His head was definitely down hoping no one was staring at him.
I felt so sorry for him, absolutely no confidence, no friends at Uni, and here he was being watched by the whole class cos' we had nothing better to do.
Eventually, the tutor said he would have to come back tomorrow to do the exam and he walked off, probably hating the world that much more. He was as normal looking as they come as well, no acne, no nothing etc.

WHY? Why do people lack such self confidence? I thought I was bad, but I'm the 'centre of the party' compared to them. Now I can imagine the aforementioned girl having friends outside Uni (maybe she's just moved to Adelaide?) but I doubt very much that that guy has any genuine friends. When ever I embarrass myself or get into stupid situations, I've always got a group of people I can talk to and laugh about the situation with, but when you have no one, it must be absolutely terrible. I think it was Hank Rearden in Atlas Shrugged that said something like 'The most deprived man is the one without a goal'. Screw that, swith 'a goal' with 'friends'.

So what to do? Know anyone that fits these two descriptions? Work? School? Uni? Throw em' a smile now and then, a 'hi', let them know they're alive, that we're all made of the same dust and atoms. And soften your eyes. Be genuine.

No comments: