Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Romance of Facebook

So I got this close friend, who loves his girlfriend. Now 'love' can be debated here, cos' it's his first girlfriend (he has a mild social anxiety thing going on when around girls), she's 18, and he 20. When he says 'love', I always hear it as 'excitement'. Cos' I honestly believe that he's just so excited about having a girl like him back that he'll say he loves her, he'll let her buy a dress with no monetary limit, he'll tell B and I that they are actually engaged after 3 months of going out, but shhh, it's a secret.
In my mind, no ring, no celebration, no letting any parents know of it; means no actual engagement buddy. It's not existent, no matter how emotional you get when you talk about it.
Now these two use facebook to always tell each other, and the world, that they love each other. And to me, so much use of the word 'love' strips the word of the actual meaning. Like, isn't saying 'I love you' the pinnacle of a relationship? Something that one doesn't take for granted? Call me old fashioned but you don't say 'I love you' just because the both of you like each other very much.

So what's your point Crispy? I don't think they're mature enough to be throwing the L word around. Now I'm only 20, going on 21 soon, but I've had to mature way before my time through a series of past events and circumstances, and I sure as hell won't say 'I love you' three months into a relationship, in front of all my facebook friends..., upwards of 5 times a day. YES! The advent of facebook on mobile phones makes it even easier for them to do it.

Now I think He is being used by her as a sort of, trophy boyfriend. Because when she's with him, in the same room, she'll still log onto Stalkbook and say 'I love you (name)!'. Then she'll have a back and forth comment convo with her girlfriends about how much she actually loves him. And this doesn't phase Him at all, why would it? He's finally got a girlfriend, she 'loves' him, case closed in his opinion.
Now to take this to a higher level. When they're together, her feelings for him and what they do together is not nearly as important as the post she's going to make on facebook about it. Think about it, how many times have you been with someone you love, and you've been looking at messages on your phone, or calling other people, or, making a Facebook 'I love you' post to the person sitting right next to you. (Final example may not apply to most people) Don't be a dick (pardon the language) and ignore the person you love to check your tweeter or whatever it's called. Screw Social networking sites I say, screw the person you supposedly love for crying out loud! Put your phone on silent/in the bin and enjoy the time you've got with them. And DON'T use 'love' so much, you're ruining it for the rest of us.

No comments: