Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"Hi I play guitar, can I buy you a drink?"

Start Rant;
What is it with young bands and people these days that seem to be so 'cool', so 'wow', so 'musical'? There are way too many idiots that pick up a guitar, yell out some barely in tune vocals, set up a MySpace profile, randomly add anyone, get so much attention and have people saying that they're great.
This is a fucking stab at all you 'musicians' who have no talent and call yourself a 'singer/songwriter' for the status. I have a friend who fits this particular description and everytime he shows me a new song, it's the same four chords badly played but in a different rotation from the last song he showed me. The lyrics are terrible, the singing horrible. Yet he gets called great!
I must digress, the musician inside of me is at the forefront of this anger. Maybe it's because I listen to so much alternative music, maybe it's because I listen to instruments/lyrics/melodies in a song, maybe it's because I actually know how to restring my guitar (some devoted 'guitarists' don't know how to), maybe it's because I work so hard on my music before even letting anyone else hear it, maybe it's because I don't walk around with my cock out saying "Hey look at me I sing and play guitar". Honestly, there must be some other aspect of life that you excel at, please, for crying out loud, just leave music to us.
We true experienced don't walk around telling people that we play guitar/sing/make songs because that's way too fucking obnoxious. When questioned, we may remark that we do, because if you're song sucks (it pretty much does), you just look that much more of an idiot to those who aren't wooed by lame songs.
Even just saying that you're in a band is a bit stupid because the usual connotation of being in a band isn't hard to detail. "You're in a band? You're so cool". Yep, that's pretty much what they want to hear, and what they actually hear.

Really, there's a difference between people who are in it for the music, and others that are in it for the status. Usually, you can tell in a heartbeat. 'For the music' is hard to exactly detail but if you don't go around telling girls you're so great, you're usually in it 'for the music'. I feel as though myself and others are being slapped in the face everytime some punk who just learnt guitar gets credit for being a musician. Girls included! Some of the worst offenders I've seen have been girls who use their looks to get attention. Perv now, judge the music later.

The lesson? Next time you hear someone say they're a 'singer/songwriter' (and especially if their clothes are way too fashionable or 'hip'), be doubtful, be extremely doubtful. The ones who don't say that are the future of music.
End Rant.

No comments: